Sunday, January 10, 2010

Recent Work


A new year and a fresh decade underway, and I am glad of both.

Over the last twelve months I posted less than in my first two years of this blog, and somewhat less substantively, too. In part, this was by design. I have been working on longer format writing projects, which require–and reward–serious rigor. The riffy, improvisional style appropriate for a blog would (in most cases) prove grating in a book. But blogging has helped me to clarify my thinking on host of matters. I'm still a few short sprints away from finishing a book-length project, which will continue to preclude more sustained theoretical pieces here at Graphic Tales.

The more improvisational, open-ended projects I've been working on have been visual in character. Last year I continued to explore the sketchbook painting work.


At the top of this post, a detail from a sketchbook painting drawn from the balcony of a Residence Inn. We were there because five days before we were to close on the sale of our condo and the purchase of a new home, our (new) furnace caught fire, delaying (but not scuttling, to our astonishment) both sales. Above, the whole painting.


I went back and painted a sketch I'd made at my younger son's high school football game (one of many such drawings, made at a variety of games, both home and away, in the fall of 2008).


I also worked on some more even more informal studies, like the still life above, in which a simple key drawing in black prismacolor was modified with flat color shapes.

In coming weeks, I will be taking the lessons learned from these and many other pieces from 2008-09 and beginning a new set of works, which I'll show soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment