Friday, July 10, 2009

Coping & Golfing


Each of the last five years I have put together a golf tournament for Project Cope, a St. Louis non-profit organization that helps folks getting out of prison get back on their feet and integrated into adult life. It's an impressive group. Consider that an understatement. Each ex-offender is paired with a congregration partnership team under the terms of a contract that runs a year. The congregation teams (Christian, Muslim, Jewish, the Ethical Society) provide guidance and support during that period. I could go on, but won't.



In collaboration with a few students, I produced a new logotype for Cope (above) in 2007-08. The students were Marissa Dessanti, Amy Guterman and Susan Land, since all graduated. The chosen concept was Marissa's, for which I produced the illustration. Traci Moore Clay did the letterhead work, and Scott Gericke designed the website at the link provided above. At some point I'll post some of my identity work, which I do now and again. I hasten to note that I am an illustrator, not a graphic designer, but I think about pictures and forms in a way that seems to permit me to do junior varsity identities.

At the top of this post, this year's poster, which I finished this week. I'll put up a few other images in the next few days which reflect an attempt to synthesize some of the sketchbook work I've done in the last year or so for print purposes. In this case, I made a key drawing (black) as well as a second color drawing (white) to produce hand-made color separations, like in old children's books. My son Danny was kind enough to pose for a few minutes, and I built the image out of his stances.

If you live in the St. Louis metropolitan area and want to play in the tournament–a scramble, a very forgiving format–give me a shout and I'll fix you up!

No comments:

Post a Comment